Children in our 3-5 yr full day program, Jr. Kindergarten and Preschool work towards Kindergarten Readiness.
These developmental goals, as established by one of our feeder schools in School District 43 are our guidelines for preparing your child. We will work with your child so that they can be reasonably accomplished in these areas with the objective of accomplishing these milestones during the kindergarten year. At the end of June, children in our 3-5 yr full day program, preschool and junior kindergarten will receive a progress report that will provide an assessment of your child's progress.
- Able to put on his/her own jacket. Buttons, zippers and snaps can be difficult for little fingers but some children can manage them with practice
- Taking off boots/shoes and putting on indoor/gym shoes
- Wearing a backpack, taking it off and putting it on a hook.
Fine Motor Skills:
- Puts a 10-12-piece puzzle together
- Holds scissors correctly
- Holds pencils and crayons correctly
Gross Motor Skills:
- Runs, jumps, skips
- Walks backwards
- Walk up and down stairs, unassisted
- Talks in sentences
- Uses words instead of being physical when angry
- Plays with other children
- Follows simple directions
- Expresses feelings and needs
- Goes to the bathroom by him/herself
- Enjoys having books read to him/her
- Can tell a story about a past event
- Says “please” and “thank you”
- Can spend extended periods away from parents
- Aware of shapes (square, circle, triangle, rectangle)
- Can sort items by colour, size and shape
- Can identify at least six parts of his/her body
- Vocabulary: up, down, in, out, behind, over
- Awareness of left and right
- Counts from 1-10.
- Shows an interest in numbers in every day places (on houses, pages in a book, signs)
- Knows at least five colours
- Tries to print his/her name.
- Recognizes his/her name in print.
- Can sing the alphabet song and recognize some letters.
- Shows an interest in words; e.g. on cereal boxes, on buildings
For safety reasons, your child should know the following:
- His/her full name
- How old he/she is
- Address and telephone number
- Mother and father’s first names